100 years since historic split

VETERAN footballers from Northern Ireland and England turned the clocks back in Newcastle last Friday afternoon in a repeat of a historic clash between the sides a century earlier.

VETERAN footballers from Northern Ireland and England turned the clocks back in Newcastle last Friday afternoon in a repeat of a historic clash between the sides a century earlier.

The game — attended by Secretary of State Brandon Lewis — was organised by Tollymore United as part of its ‘Stormont and Soccer Splits’ project supported by the Shared History Fund administered by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

The teams replayed a famous match that took place between Ireland and England on October 22, 1921, at Windsor Park in Belfast, with the players wearing replica kits.

The game a century ago was the first to take place after the Southern clubs split from the Irish Football Association to form the Football Association of Ireland.

The historic fixture was repeated at Tollymore United’s Bear Park ground at Donard Park with Tollymore club secretary, Andy Hall, revealing that players and officials were really surprised when told that Mr Lewis was attending Friday’s match.

“I think it’s the first time a Secretary of State has been down to Newcastle,” he continued. “Mr Lewis was very impressed with the incredible views of Slieve Donard and I would guess he is a big football fan as he was talking about great players like the late Martin Peters.”

The organisers of the event remained as authentic as possible, with the replica kits similar to the ones worn 100 years ago made in Belfast by Brennan’s Health and Beauty Uniforms.

“And this was no mean feat as they only had pictures to go on,” said Andy. “ Ireland played in blue at the time and not the more familiar green that they wear now. 

“Mr Lewis also said he thought the project was really unusual and he really liked the fact that the teams were playing in a replica kit.”

The Irish FA changed the international team name to Northern Ireland in 1954 for FIFA competitions and in the early 70’s adopted the name for all other internationals.

“Friday was a terrific sporting occasion that everybody really enjoyed. The replica kits were brilliant even though the shorts were a wee bit too long for my liking,” said Tollymore club chairman Adrian Howard.

“Our guys really got into the spirit of things with the false moustaches and at one point I thought history was repeating itself with the teams locked at 1-1. But it wasn’t to be with the English boys winning 3-1.”

After such a wet and dismal start to last week, Donard Park was bathed in sunshine for the match and despite all the best laid plans, the England team was delayed on route from the airport. 

However, this gave Mr Lewis the opportunity to meet some volunteer coaches and officials from the Tollymore club. He chatted to coaches Simon Thornton and Dr Gavin Devlin about their involvement with the club and volunteering in general.

Mr Lewis also met Seamus Heath and Mark Hughes, from the NI Veterans team who were involved in organising the fixture.

The project is one of 39 funded through the Shared History Fund which supports groups to mark the Centenary, in a thoughtful, inclusive and engaging way.

The Tollymore Club has been working on its project since October last year and was very pleased to hear that it had been awarded funding to deliver the project and to date the various events have been extremely well received.

“I would like to thank everyone for taking part and making this part of our project such a success, in particular, the guests for attending and Rob Manley of the Anchor Bar for providing gifts for the Secretary of State, council chairwoman Cathy Mason and Darren Rice from Heritage Lottery NI,” said Adrian.

The Tollymore club presented a number of gifts to the Secretary of State including a framed print of Newcastle, circa 1921, provided by Mr Ivor Anderson. He also received a replica 1921 England top and The Friend at Hand Irish Whiskey presentation box.

Gifts of The Friend at Hand Irish Whiskey were also made to the council chairwoman  and Mr Darren Rice. 

Also in attendance at the event was South Down MLA Jim Wells, a huge Northern Football fan and regular attender at the team’s home fixtures.

The latest football match starring the veterans is a testament to how far the teams have developed over the past few years.

Formed almost 15 years ago after Tollymore United organised a long running five-a-side football programme, the NI Veterans encourage men that had stopped playing regular football to get back playing.

The veterans believe that age should not be a barrier to playing football and that there are incalculable health benefits, both physical and mental, to keeping active.

Players ages range from 40’s through to 70’s with teams at over 45’s, over 50’s, over 55’s and over 60’s age groups.

Every year the NI Veterans take part in a home internationals tournament with their English, Scottish and Welsh counterparts and travel to venues across the UK, with the home internationals played in a different country each year.

Players meet their own travel and accommodation costs with Tollymore United offering their pitch for home fixtures and the Anchor Bar providing visiting teams with food and refreshments.

Veteran’s football is huge in England and Wales with organised leagues and dozens of teams. It is also becoming increasingly popular in Europe with the NI Veterans having played European opposition.

Last Friday’s football match was the third of four events that the Tollymore club is delivering as part of their project.

Northern Ireland v England Centenary match – October 2021
Source: www.thedownrecorder.co.uk/
Share this Post: